Article | 'Japan Mehs Virtua Fighter 5. NO ONLINE = NO BUY?'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
Japan Mehs Virtua Fighter 5

[QUOTE=""]

Early reports are that Virtua Fighter 5 isn't exactly flying off store shelves. AsoBitCity in Akihabara had a hands-on for customers that was so slow, a Sega employee apparently killed time by playing the title alone. And why should it be a hit? Sure, VF hasn't really matter to most Western gamers since, oh, 1997, but the game has a huge following in Japan. Thing is, people aren't going to buy an arcade port that doesn't feature online when they can play with other people at their local arcade. Perhaps Sega thought the hardcore would buy their online-less game to practice at home and then play at a game center? Guess not.

Brian Ashcraft

Kotaku Article here | Translated from here: http://www.akibaos.com/?p=732

I sadly have to approve of this ownage.
Like I've been saying no online = no buy for this kind of game. I still might scoop it, but the fact that I'm debating picking up a quality AAA game or not is a big deal (because I wasn't alone in that feeling). The bottom line here is that no matter how good a game is, in the nextGen of expectations, people should be able to play online. especially fighters/sports games that would leave you having to play crumby computer AI. I left that life years ago when XBLive came out. Consistent challengers every hour of the damn day.

Looks like SEGA may *have* to find a way to squeeze online into at least the 360 version to ensure they make some decent sales. Otherwise it won't be nearly as successful as it could be, IMO. a VF5 game online would last gamers YEARS. an off-line VF5 will last many gamers only months (or until the wellspring of decent local competitors and friends dries up).

DISCUSS
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
He's assuming online is having an impact on sales in Japan.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
If this trend continues due to no online, I can almost guarantee Sega will put online on the 360 version. People can argue frame counters and precision all they want, but they'll need to SELL to recover development costs and make a profit, and having online would be a huge seller, not to mention the much larger 360 user-base.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
I agree. the only reason i'm even picking up vf 5 is because its my fav. fighter and I haven't played it since the dreamcast days. I was anti-sony when dreamcast died reason why I didn't play it on the ps 2.
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts
He's assuming online is having an impact on sales in Japan.Felous1
Just what I was thinking. Then again, it's surprising how many Japanese players I run into playing Team Elimination in Lost Planet. Observation: It's FAR easier to find one such Japanese gamer in a Team Elimination match than just normal Elimination.
AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AvinashTyagi
Member since 2005 • 4433 Posts
For a game like VF it probably does
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dreams-Visions
indeed it is an assumption. they could just be worn out on Virtua Fighter 5 out there. but how well do Tekken home ports sell? How about VF4 sales? maybe there's some sort of measuring stick we can compare to.
audioaxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 audioaxes
Member since 2004 • 1570 Posts
i know for sure as heck i aint buying it if it doesnt have online for 360
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Felous1"]He's assuming online is having an impact on sales in Japan.jvonrader
Just what I was thinking. Then again, it's surprising how many Japanese players I run into playing Team Elimination in Lost Planet. Observation: It's FAR easier to find one such Japanese gamer in a Team Elimination match than just normal Elimination.

they're also well represented in Chromehounds and Ridge Racer 7.
jackassultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jackassultima
Member since 2005 • 1048 Posts
But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dreams-Visions
i know for sure as heck i aint buying it if it doesnt have online for 360audioaxes
I'm also torn. I don't really have anyone that can play on my level, so my friends usually prefer to play something else with me. for me, that means VF5 collects dust unless I want to play computer opponents. we ALL know how fun that is. about as fun as playing Unreal Tournament's single player. :|
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dreams-Visions
But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.jackassultima
did Westerners EVER really open up to this series in droves? I highly doubt it. And no online play successfully cuts the opportunity for the series to grow more marketshare off at the knees, IMO. I can tell you that it won't be a popular 360 game. not because it's not good..but because people want to play ONLINE on the 360. Unless its an RPG or something, online has to at least be an option. but maybe I'm mischaracterizing the 360 online community.
HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 HeedleGlavin
Member since 2005 • 15373 Posts
But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.jackassultima
Agreed. I haven't been inside an arcade for probably 8-10 years.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
It's totally different. Just because arcades aren't as popular here doesn't mean the lack of online play in VF5 is a moot point. It will totally effect sales. The point is Japanese gamers like human opponents (and it seems if they don't know the person they're playing against, even better). The same goes here in the States. AI can take you only so far.
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
I'm sorry I don't think online gaming has a huge impact on Japanese sales. Let's face it, if Japanese gamers were into online game they'd be buying the 360. VF5 not having online will hurt it in the US and EU, but I don't see it as an issue for Japan. I think the Japanese have just been playing the game at arcades long enough that they don't feel the need to purchase a home copy of the game. Which on a slightly different note, I think the reason online gaming hasn't completely caught on in Japan is because arcades are still so popular over there.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
[QUOTE="audioaxes"]i know for sure as heck i aint buying it if it doesnt have online for 360Dreams-Visions
I'm also torn. I don't really have anyone that can play on my level, so my friends usually prefer to play something else with me. for me, that means VF5 collects dust unless I want to play computer opponents. we ALL know how fun that is. about as fun as playing Unreal Tournament's single player. :|

I'm the same way. I can't really get into fighters because I don't have enough friends that play them, or a lot of time for gathering a few buddies for gaming sessions. The only reason I picked up DoA 4 and spent some good time learning it is because I play online. And for the most part its very responsive, though there are the occasional laggers...
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="mythrol"]I'm sorry I don't think online gaming has a huge impact on Japanese sales. Let's face it, if Japanese gamers were into online game they'd be buying the 360. VF5 not having online will hurt it in the US and EU, but I don't see it as an issue for Japan. I think the Japanese have just been playing the game at arcades long enough that they don't feel the need to purchase a home copy of the game. Which on a slightly different note, I think the reason online gaming hasn't completely caught on in Japan is because arcades are still so popular over there.

DS is online. it might be a big deal. but who knows. you could certianly be right and Kotaku might be calling it wrong. but it WILL affect US sales. I just hope T6 will be online. damn the excuses.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="audioaxes"]i know for sure as heck i aint buying it if it doesnt have online for 360MyopicCanadian

I'm the same way. I can't really get into fighters because I don't have enough friends that play them, or a lot of time for gathering a few buddies for gaming sessions. The only reason I picked up DoA 4 and spent some good time learning it is because I play online. And for the most part its very responsive, though there are the occasional laggers...

we're brothers from another mother.
jackassultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jackassultima
Member since 2005 • 1048 Posts
[QUOTE="jackassultima"]But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.Dreams-Visions
did Westerners EVER really open up to this series in droves? I highly doubt it. And no online play successfully cuts the opportunity for the series to grow more marketshare off at the knees, IMO. I can tell you that it won't be a popular 360 game. not because it's not good..but because people want to play ONLINE on the 360. Unless its an RPG or something, online has to at least be an option. but maybe I'm mischaracterizing the 360 online community.

The point is that this kind of game with such fast gameplay cannot currently be made online capable. You can go for watered down slower fighting games which have online because online issues make far less of an impact, but in the end they are just worse fighting games IMO. I'd rather have my mates round my house playing VF5 and have an awesome single player experience than compromise it so I can play some nobodies online.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"]But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.jackassultima

The point is that this kind of game with such fast gameplay cannot currently be made online capable. You can go for watered down slower fighting games which have online because online issues make far less of an impact, but in the end they are just worse fighting games IMO. I'd rather have my mates round my house playing VF5 and have an awesome single player experience than compromise it so I can play some nobodies online.

you believe that only because those are the excuses they're trying to spoon-feed you. I'm sorry man, but excuses are only excuses. If they can't do it RIGHT...then they need to shove the game back in the oven or put it in the freezer until they CAN do it right. no online will = no buy for a huge number of people. 360 owners will not line up for this one. at. all.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="jackassultima"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"]But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.Dreams-Visions

you believe that only because those are the excuses they're trying to spoon-feed you. I'm sorry man, but excuses are only excuses. If they can't do it RIGHT...then they need to shove the game back in the oven or put it in the freezer until they CAN do it right. no online will = no buy for a huge number of people. 360 owners will not line up for this one. at. all.

I'll probably end up getting it regardless of online play, because I've never been a big fan of Dead of Alive series. But it definately hampers the amount I'll play it. Playing with friends is fun, but only up to a point. I'll be sad with no online multi. And thank you- abolish excuses!
nybritboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nybritboy
Member since 2005 • 774 Posts
that would be a good point for any other game, but VF5 is popular in arcades because it has online play
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
Why this game doesn't have online makes sense to me. I don't doubt Sega assumed that this would take away from the arcade version of the game which if I recall actually has online play between the many arcades around Japan. A lot of other arcade games are like this as well and have been for years I think. Since arcades still seem to be huge there no doubt that most likely makes Sega a LOT of money. Sega would naturally be more concerned about their profit then making a game that might move PS3 systems. They'd take a serious loss most likely if they made the console version online (less people going to arcades, less money being spent, less system rented out, etc).
mythrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 mythrol
Member since 2005 • 5237 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="mythrol"]I'm sorry I don't think online gaming has a huge impact on Japanese sales. Let's face it, if Japanese gamers were into online game they'd be buying the 360. VF5 not having online will hurt it in the US and EU, but I don't see it as an issue for Japan. I think the Japanese have just been playing the game at arcades long enough that they don't feel the need to purchase a home copy of the game. Which on a slightly different note, I think the reason online gaming hasn't completely caught on in Japan is because arcades are still so popular over there.

DS is online. it might be a big deal. but who knows. you could certianly be right and Kotaku might be calling it wrong. but it WILL affect US sales. I just hope T6 will be online. damn the excuses.

Oh I agree it will definitely hurt the sales in the US and EU. For a fighting game to not have online, no matter the excuse, is a killer. However Japan I just don't think this will be a killing point for them. Yes the DS has online, but I'd be interested in seeing exactly what % of Japanese use it. . .as opposed to the "system link" option that the DS has.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
At least they have Online in the arcades. What do I get. A CPU who does the same damn cheap move, and I punish the hell out of it. No ones is on my level in fighters. I drive 20 miles to my nearest Aracade, and it doesn't even have VF, Tekken, or SF in it (I go for the cotton candy). Tournaments are held like once every 2 months. Simple saying we need online here more than the Japanese.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"]But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.musicalmac

I'll probably end up getting it regardless of online play, because I've never been a big fan of Dead of Alive series. But it definately hampers the amount I'll play it. Playing with friends is fun, but only up to a point. I'll be sad with no online multi. And thank you- abolish excuses!

you can bet your sweet *ss that the next iterrations of Tekken, Soul Calibur and DoA will all be ONLINE.
FABurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FABurch
Member since 2005 • 285 Posts
[QUOTE="Felous1"]He's assuming online is having an impact on sales in Japan.Dreams-Visions
indeed it is an assumption. they could just be worn out on Virtua Fighter 5 out there. but how well do Tekken home ports sell? How about VF4 sales? maybe there's some sort of measuring stick we can compare to.

How can you say that online=no buy? You really think that if I was a VF fanboy I would say NO to the next in line for the mere reason, "THERE'S NO ONRINE=NO BUY" Stop reading Kotaku for the love of God those guys just spin facts for sensationalism. sales low? may be it's because the hardware sales of PS3 are low...
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="mythrol"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="mythrol"]I'm sorry I don't think online gaming has a huge impact on Japanese sales. Let's face it, if Japanese gamers were into online game they'd be buying the 360. VF5 not having online will hurt it in the US and EU, but I don't see it as an issue for Japan. I think the Japanese have just been playing the game at arcades long enough that they don't feel the need to purchase a home copy of the game. Which on a slightly different note, I think the reason online gaming hasn't completely caught on in Japan is because arcades are still so popular over there.

Oh I agree it will definitely hurt the sales in the US and EU. For a fighting game to not have online, no matter the excuse, is a killer. However Japan I just don't think this will be a killing point for them. Yes the DS has online, but I'd be interested in seeing exactly what % of Japanese use it. . .as opposed to the "system link" option that the DS has.

fair enough. :D
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#30 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

I sadly have to approve of this ownage.
Like I've been saying no online = no buy for this kind of game. I still might scoop it, but the fact that I'm debating picking up a quality AAA game or not is a big deal (because I wasn't alone in that feeling). The bottom line here is that no matter how good a game is, in the nextGen of expectations, people should be able to play online. especially fighters/sports games that would leave you having to play crumby computer AI. I left that life years ago when XBLive came out. Consistent challengers every hour of the damn day.

Looks like SEGA may *have* to find a way to squeeze online into at least the 360 version to ensure they make some decent sales. Otherwise it won't be nearly as successful as it could be, IMO. a VF5 game online would last gamers YEARS. an off-line VF5 will last many gamers only months (or until the wellspring of decent local competitors and friends dries up).

DISCUSS
Dreams-Visions

I agree.

No Online = No Buy for me when it comes to multiplayer games for me.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dreams-Visions
At least they have Online in the arcades. What do I get. A CPU who does the same damn cheap move, and I punish the hell out of it. No ones is on my level in fighters. I drive 20 miles to my nearest Aracade, and it doesn't even have VF, Tekken, or SF in it (I go for the cotton candy). Tournaments are held like once every 2 months. Simple saying we need online here more than the Japanese.shungokustasu
wait wait...VF5 is online in arcades in Japan?/!
Avatar image for SockPuppetHyren
SockPuppetHyren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SockPuppetHyren
Member since 2005 • 1001 Posts
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"]But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.Dreams-Visions

you can bet your sweet *ss that the next iterrations of Tekken, Soul Calibur and DoA will all be ONLINE.

No they won't, and it's going to be for the same reasons as VF. Really, most of the people screaming "NO ONLINE=NO BUY" aren't interested in the game in the first place. I don't know about you, but I'd happily sacrifice online if having online will compromise the gameplay. Also, VF5 is NOT online in arcades, those are replays.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Felous1"]He's assuming online is having an impact on sales in Japan.FABurch

How can you say that online=no buy? You really think that if I was a VF fanboy I would say NO to the next in line for the mere reason, "THERE'S NO ONRINE=NO BUY" Stop reading Kotaku for the love of God those guys just spin facts for sensationalism. sales low? may be it's because the hardware sales of PS3 are low...

how can I say no online = no buy? because I know a lot of consumers are just like me. they WANT to play a great fighter but lose interest quickly because of a lack of quality human opponents to play against. online play has caused DoA4 to last me 14 months. VF4 (PS2) lasted me all of about 4 weeks before the homies lost interest, relegating me to playing against the CPU. like in all fighters, playing against the CPU is not very enjoyable or enriching, so we move on to other games. online play = instant buy. no online = lots of pause and hesistation. I just don't know if I'll ever get my monies' worth.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
[QUOTE="shungokustasu"]At least they have Online in the arcades. What do I get. A CPU who does the same damn cheap move, and I punish the hell out of it. No ones is on my level in fighters. I drive 20 miles to my nearest Aracade, and it doesn't even have VF, Tekken, or SF in it (I go for the cotton candy). Tournaments are held like once every 2 months. Simple saying we need online here more than the Japanese.Dreams-Visions

of course. The whole arcade there are online.
SockPuppetHyren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SockPuppetHyren
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="shungokustasu"]At least they have Online in the arcades. What do I get. A CPU who does the same damn cheap move, and I punish the hell out of it. No ones is on my level in fighters. I drive 20 miles to my nearest Aracade, and it doesn't even have VF, Tekken, or SF in it (I go for the cotton candy). Tournaments are held like once every 2 months. Simple saying we need online here more than the Japanese.shungokustasu

of course. The whole arcade there are online.

Agian, VF5 is NOT online in Japanese arcades. I have no idea where you're pulling this from. What you are seeing are replays from fights, that is all.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"]But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.SockPuppetHyren

No they won't, and it's going to be for the same reasons as VF. Really, most of the people screaming "NO ONLINE=NO BUY" aren't interested in the game in the first place. I don't know about you, but I'd happily sacrifice online if having online will compromise the gameplay. Also, VF5 is NOT online in arcades, those are replays.

stop being a damn SEGA apologist. you're eating their excuses up like an Ethopian would steak. just because their developers couldn't get it done in time for the PS3's release doesn't mean that other devs don't have their *hit together. those games will all have online play. It'll be fine. It'll prolong the life of those games 10 fold. EXPECT it.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LosDaddie

The point is that this kind of game with such fast gameplay cannot currently be made online capable. You can go for watered down slower fighting games which have online because online issues make far less of an impact, but in the end they are just worse fighting games IMO. I'd rather have my mates round my house playing VF5 and have an awesome single player experience than compromise it so I can play some nobodies online.jackassultima

Awesome single player? :lol:

Single player is just practice for multiplayer. VF5 was built for multiplayer / tourneys.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dreams-Visions

[QUOTE="jackassultima"] The point is that this kind of game with such fast gameplay cannot currently be made online capable. You can go for watered down slower fighting games which have online because online issues make far less of an impact, but in the end they are just worse fighting games IMO. I'd rather have my mates round my house playing VF5 and have an awesome single player experience than compromise it so I can play some nobodies online.LosDaddie

Single player is just practice for multiplayer. VF5 was built for multiplayer / tourneys.

EXACTLY. which is why online would have been such a big thing for this game. this game would have lasted YEARS with online play. YEARS.
SockPuppetHyren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SockPuppetHyren

[QUOTE="jackassultima"] The point is that this kind of game with such fast gameplay cannot currently be made online capable. You can go for watered down slower fighting games which have online because online issues make far less of an impact, but in the end they are just worse fighting games IMO. I'd rather have my mates round my house playing VF5 and have an awesome single player experience than compromise it so I can play some nobodies online.LosDaddie

Have you played VF4? Becaus eyou wouldnt be talking like that otherwise. VF4 has THE best AI in ANY fighting game. Mainly because they are based on real players.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

[QUOTE="jackassultima"] The point is that this kind of game with such fast gameplay cannot currently be made online capable. You can go for watered down slower fighting games which have online because online issues make far less of an impact, but in the end they are just worse fighting games IMO. I'd rather have my mates round my house playing VF5 and have an awesome single player experience than compromise it so I can play some nobodies online.Dreams-Visions

EXACTLY. which is why online would have been such a big thing for this game. this game would have lasted YEARS with online play. YEARS.

Look at Halo 2. Would we still be playing that without Live?...
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

[QUOTE="jackassultima"] The point is that this kind of game with such fast gameplay cannot currently be made online capable. You can go for watered down slower fighting games which have online because online issues make far less of an impact, but in the end they are just worse fighting games IMO. I'd rather have my mates round my house playing VF5 and have an awesome single player experience than compromise it so I can play some nobodies online.musicalmac

Look at Halo 2. Would we still be playing that without Live?...

hell no. Halo 2 would have lasted me maybe 2 go-rounds in the SP. As it stands, I have yet to finish HALF of the single player. I've been playing Halo 2 since launch day. I've easily put in 1,300+ hours into it. online = win. but it's just so important for fighters and sports games.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

[QUOTE="jackassultima"] The point is that this kind of game with such fast gameplay cannot currently be made online capable. You can go for watered down slower fighting games which have online because online issues make far less of an impact, but in the end they are just worse fighting games IMO. I'd rather have my mates round my house playing VF5 and have an awesome single player experience than compromise it so I can play some nobodies online.SockPuppetHyren

Have you played VF4? Becaus eyou wouldnt be talking like that otherwise. VF4 has THE best AI in ANY fighting game. Mainly because they are based on real players.

AI will NEVER replicate the experiences and enjoyment of playing a flesh and blood person in person or online. You wouldn't be so apathetic to the idea if you had played DoA4. online play is very entertaining. it's like standing in an arcade line like back in the day when Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct were the *hit.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LosDaddie

Really, most of the people screaming "NO ONLINE=NO BUY" aren't interested in the game in the first place. SockPuppetHyren

I would buy VF5 at launch if it had online. I really enjoyed VF4: Evo when I rented it. And I would've bought VF4 if it had online.

Stop being a Sega apologist. Online should be mandatory for multiplayer games. This is the next-gen.

nanomecha4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nanomecha4
Member since 2007 • 458 Posts
Only about 6,300 sales. Blue Dragon, Lost Planet, and Gears of War couldnt save Xbox 360 from flopping in Japan. Meanwhile Playstation 3 amazingly outsold Playstation 2 for the 2nd time even though there is hardly any games out for the Japanese Market to eat up. Playstation 3 is outselling Xbox 360 3 to 1 and so far it looks like a repeat of last gen. Xbox 360 is dead in Japan. Microsoft should pack its bags and sell 360's in Alaska, they might not overheat there as much. R.I.P.
SockPuppetHyren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SockPuppetHyren
[QUOTE="SockPuppetHyren"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"]But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.Dreams-Visions

stop being a damn SEGA apologist. you're eating their excuses up like an Ethopian would steak. just because their developers couldn't get it done in time for the PS3's release doesn't mean that other devs don't have their *hit together. those games will all have online play. It'll be fine. It'll prolong the life of those games 10 fold. EXPECT it.

Well, I apoligize for trusting the people who actually spent time MAKING the game and not some guy on a forum who's only played he game for a few weeks. People have ATUALLy stated facts as to why VF5 and other fighters like it can't be placed online because of fundemental gameplay changes. VF games rely heavily on precise, down to the frame command input. So much so that lag would literally destroy the game for it's target audiance. Lag causes the frame inputs to change, which results in moves not being as responsive as normal. If you dont beleive me, why dont you try e-mailing SEGA about it.
beyondgamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 beyondgamez
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts
Online isn't a big deal to me.I have lots of friends to play versus mode against...everyone assuming that no online is the reason why people in Japan is not buyin it..but  i dont see it as the  main problem at all..xbox360 version will not have online either..im guessing it will sell twice as worst..I think over here in NA Virtual Fighters 5 will sell thousands....
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dreams-Visions
@ nano

troll? let's see...no relevance to the topic...no purpose...no nothing. thankskbye.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LosDaddie
[QUOTE="SockPuppetHyren"][QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

[QUOTE="jackassultima"] The point is that this kind of game with such fast gameplay cannot currently be made online capable. You can go for watered down slower fighting games which have online because online issues make far less of an impact, but in the end they are just worse fighting games IMO. I'd rather have my mates round my house playing VF5 and have an awesome single player experience than compromise it so I can play some nobodies online.Dreams-Visions

AI will NEVER replicate the experiences and enjoyment of playing a flesh and blood person in person or online. You wouldn't be so apathetic to the idea if you had played DoA4. online play is very entertaining. it's like standing in an arcade line like back in the day when Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct were the *hit.

Agreed.

Humans > CPU.

There simply is nothing better than having a real human(s) to play against. People need to stop being Sega apologists.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="SockPuppetHyren"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="jackassultima"]But in the west very few people go to arcades any more, so western sales will not be impacted by this problem. They can't put online in because they've already said that the lag and latency issues across the internet would render it practically unplayable.SockPuppetHyren

Well, I apoligize for trusting the people who actually spent time MAKING the game and not some guy on a forum who's only played he game for a few weeks. People have ATUALLy stated facts as to why VF5 and other fighters like it can't be placed online because of fundemental gameplay changes. VF games rely heavily on precise, down to the frame command input. So much so that lag would literally destroy the game for it's target audiance. Lag causes the frame inputs to change, which results in moves not being as responsive as normal. If you dont beleive me, why dont you try e-mailing SEGA about it.

apology accepted.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dreams-Visions
Online isn't a big deal to me.I have lots of friends to play versus mode against...everyone assuming that no online is the reason why people in Japan is not buyin it..but i dont see it as the main problem at all..xbox360 version will not have online either..im guessing it will sell twice as worst..I think over here in NA Virtual Fighters 5 will sell thousands....beyondgamez
that's fair. as I've said, Kotaku could just be wrong in their assumptions. but what do you believe is the reason for the low sales?